Register your accommodation business

Why do you need to register your business?

In Victoria, you need to register any accommodation business with your local council.

We check that your business aligns with the Public Health and Wellbeing (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations 2020 and any other standards to ensure that you:

  • meet hygiene, maintenance and other standards and requirements
  • minimise public health risks from the shared use of facilities, high turnover of occupants and/or overcrowding.


What is an accommodation business?

Any home based or commercial business that includes these services is considered an accommodation business:

  • hotels and motels
  • hostels
  • student dormitories
  • holiday camps
  • caravan parks
  • bed and breakfast accommodation
  • rooming houses
  • residential accommodation (does not apply to an Air B&B where the house is under exclusive occupation).

Not sure what type of business you have? Contact us


How much does it cost?

View full list of fees

How to register a new business

  1. Download and read the Rooming House Fact sheet
    Rooming House Fact Sheet
    Rooming House Fact Sheet
    93.17 KB
  2. Download and complete the supporting documentation
    Supporting documentation for registering a prescribed accomodation
    Supporting documentation for registering a prescribed accomodation
    780.05 KB
  3. Select 'Apply now' below to start the pre-approval process

How to transfer an existing business

  1. Before you purchase an existing prescribed accommodation business, you need to book a pre-sale inspection

    At the inspection, we check the premises meets the necessary standards and regulations so you can legally transfer business registration. 

    Request a business pre-sale inspection form
    Request a business pre-sale inspection form
    244.62 KB
  2. Select 'Apply now' below to start the pre-approval process

What happens next?

  • We will issue contact you and issue an invoice once we receive your application.
  • Once you have been registered, we will conduct an annual inspection to ensure your business meets the requirements under Public health and wellbeing regulations. We will also offer ongoing advice and education.
  • If you change your business activity, contact us as this may affect your risk rating.


How to cancel your registration?

To cancel your registration, email your closure advice to Include in the email:

  • the proprietors name
  • the proprietors address and
  • if you can get a refund, the bank account details (BSB and account name).


Can you get a refund?

You can get a refund if your business is closing permanently. We do not issue refund for the transfer of a 'Registered Premises' to a new operator. 

The amount of the refund depends on when we receive your closure advice email.

  • before 1 April - we refund 50% of the paid registration fee
  • before 1 July - we refund 25% of the paid registration fee
  • after 1 July - no refund available.