Request further information

To request online

Read the information before you request

Request now

Why do we request further information (RFI)?

When you first submit a new application for a planning permit, you may receive a letter requesting further information (RFI).

The information will help us to process your application. We may:

  • ask for new sets of plans
  • request further clarification on particular uses or proposed works
  • provide comments (concerns and general advice) from a preliminary assessment.

Do you need to address any information items raised in the RFI?

You must address any information items listed by the RFI. Only concerns or comments at the bottom of the letter isn't mandatory.

Addressing these comments early on can help you avoid extra fees and time costs later down the track - from needing to apply for a section 57A amendment, pay additional fees, excessive permit conditions and/or receiving a refusal.

Contact us to speak with your planning officer.


Can you make changes to your planning permit application before submitting the requested information?

Yes, but you will need to instead submit a section 50 amendment to declare your changes. You must include all of the requested information in your RFI letter as well.


What happens if you can't get all the information or disagree with it?

You should speak with your planning officer about any concerns you may have.


When do you need to respond to the RFI letter?

You need to respond to the RFI letter by submitting all requested information before the due date on the letter, known as the 'lapse date'.

If we do not receive all requested information by this date, then your planning permit application will lapse (closed/cancelled) and no further work will be undertaken on your application. You will need to submit a new application, along with new fees and planning documentation should you wish to proceed with the proposal.

There is no way to pause applications, so if you are unable to submit requested information before the lapse date, then request an extension of time.


Can you reverse a lapsed planning permit application?

Unfortunately, there is no way to reverse a lapsed application. You will need to submit a new application, along with new fees and planning documentation.


How to submit requested information

To respond to further information, follow these steps:

  1. Visit the planning applications portal
  2. Search for your planning application
  3. In the search results, select your planning applications ID number to view the application details
  4. Scroll down to the bottom of the details and select the 'Respond to Further Information' button to start the request.

Contact us if you are unable to lodge online or need help.


What happens next?

After you have submitted your response to the RFI letter, the Planning Officer will review the information and their response will depend on whether they are satisfied with the information you have provided.

If your response is satisfactory

Your application will proceed to the next stage.

If your response is not satisfactory

You will receive another RFI letter outlining the outstanding we information require.