Apply for a footpath trading permit

Footpath trading is an essential part of our retail experience and can include:

  • outdoor dining with tables and chairs
  • placement of goods for sale and display
  • display of A-frame advertising boards.

Although we encourage footpath trading in Manningham, there’s a few things that you need to know.

When do you need a permit to use the footpath?


You need a permit if the footpath is on Council land and you want to place items, such as:

  • moveable advertising signs
  • goods
  • street furniture (such as: tables, chairs, barriers, umbrellas, planter boxes, heaters).


What is "Council land"?

Council land is any land, including reserves or roads which are owned, vested in, managed by or under the control of Council and includes any building or structure on that land, within a reserve or on a road.


Keeping pedestrians safe

We have a duty to make sure pedestrians are safe. That’s why traders need to maintain minimum distance of clear footpath from the property line.

You can’t place objects such as moveable advertising signs, goods and street furniture against the property line or shop front.

These rules allow people using the footpath to walk through the area safely.

Apply for a footpath trading permit

You can apply for a footpath trading permit.

Apply for a footpath trading permit online

You can also download a footpath trading permit application form. Please send your application and supporting documents to


On this page


    • Application Form - Footpath Trading 2024-25
      Application Form - Footpath Trading 2024-25
      169.66 KB