What we are doing
Motion to declare climate emergency approved by Council
On January 28 2020, Manningham Council unanimously approved a motion to declare a climate emergency. This resolution acknowledged that we are in a state of serious climate and environmental change and that urgent climate actions were required.
Climate mitigation targets adopted by Council
On October 2021, Manningham Council unanimously adopted climate mitigation targets. These targets are:
- net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2028 for Council operations
- net zero emissions by 2035 for the Manningham community
The climate emergency resolution and the net zero targets empower us to enhance climate action. Community feedback acknowledged a shared commitment with Council to increase action on climate change.
Draft Climate Emergency Action Plan developed
A Climate Emergency Action Plan was developed, outlining actions to address climate change.
Published Climate Emergency Response Plan
In July 2023 after further consultation, Manningham Council published the renamed Climate Emergency Response Plan. The Climate Emergency Response Plan (CERP) outlines the approach to addressing climate change and its impact on Manningham.
Key actions include:
- improved public transport and car share services
- increased electric vehicle charging infrastructure
- conversion to energy efficient LED streetlights
- expanding rooftop solar and batteries program
- household energy saving measures
- diverting food and garden organics (FOGO) waste from landfill
- incentives to recycle and repurpose materials
- preserving and strengthening local biodiversity and bushland reserves
- strengthening community education and awareness raising through workshops, events and activities.
100 per cent renewable energy at Council buildings and sports facilities
Manningham Council has signed the VECO electricity contract. VECO is an initiative involving 46 Victorian councils, known as the Victorian Energy Collaboration (VECO).
Thanks to the signing of this monumental contract, we will be able to make the following changes:
- End of 2022 - 100 per cent green electricity will be running:
- the Pines Shopping Centre
- Manningham Civic Centre
- MC Square
- Manningham Depot
- End of 2023 - Manningham netball stadiums and Aquarena will transfer to the contract as well.
- 1 January 2025 - all our electricity requirements will be powered by 100 per cent renewable energy. This includes:
- street lights
- EV charging points
All this new renewable energy comes from two wind farms, located in Horsham and Dundonnell.