Apply for a temporary road closure and traffic management

To apply online

Read the information before you apply

Apply now

When is traffic management needed?

If you are conducting works or events on or near the road, it is important to ensure that:

  • other road users can continue to use the road safely
  • there is minimal disruptions as far as possible.

If you are planning to conduct works or events that’ll impact traffic on our roads. This includes impacts on pedestrians, cyclists and general traffic, you will need to ensure that:

  • you have given appropriate warning to other road users about the works
  • you are protecting other road users from potential hazards.


Who needs to apply

You will need our consent if you require traffic control devices such as bollards or signage to manage traffic around your works or event.


Who doesn't need to apply

Works managers working for utility companies and public transport operators are pre-authorised to erect traffic control devices and don’t need our consent under traffic management regulations.


When do you need to apply?

Submit your application at least 10 business days before your planned works. This lets us process your application on time and also allows us to review and amend an application if required.


How much does it cost?

Fees apply for all applications.

  • For full road closures, the fee is $130.
  • For lane closures and other minor traffic management, the fee is $105.

After receiving your application, we will review your Traffic Management Plan and provide you with an invoice listing your payment options.


How to apply

To apply for consent you'll need:

  • A completed application form.
    Application - Erect Temporary Traffic Control Devices for Works or Events on Roads
    Application - Erect Temporary Traffic Control Devices for Works or Events on Roads
    720.95 KB
  • A suitable traffic management plan prepared by a qualified person or company.
  • A copy of your Public Liability Insurance certificate of currency (minimum cover $20 Million).

Depending on your proposed traffic management and the impact on the road network, you may also need other documents, such as a detour plan or aftercare plan.

If your works or event impacts a Department of Transport (DoT) arterial road or requires major traffic control devices we can’t authorise, you’ll also need a Memorandum of Authorisation from DoT. You can find more info on DoT’s website.

We will require confirmation DoT has approved any traffic management on their roads.

After preparing your application, send the completed form with all necessary documents to us via email.

This application is only for consent to erect temporary control devices. Depending on your works, you might need other approvals.

What happens next?

Allow 10 business days for us to review your application and for any amendments that may be necessary. We will contact you if we need further information or amendments to your application.


How to cancel

Contact us to cancel your application.